Direct Support Workers – Youth Summer Positions
E3 Community Services Inc.
Location: Collingwood, ON
Closing Date: May 30, 2022
Salary Range: $16.50/hour
Application Method: Submit cover letters and applications to: email@example.com
Are you personable, caring, passionate, and empathetic?
Do you enjoy teaching new skills, being physically active, getting involved in your community? Are you looking for a summer job in a position where you make a difference in our community? Raise your hand if that is you! E3 is hiring youth for Direct Support roles with all of the above attributes.
What is a Direct Support Worker?
Direct Support Workers assist people with developmental disabilities to find a satisfying and purposeful place in their community by enhancing their quality of life; promoting growth; assisting with activities of daily living; honouring personal choice and informed decision-making and implementing individualized plans with attainable outcomes.
What is in it for you?
- Rewarding summer employment starting the beginning of May for 16 weeks
- Work in a fun and ever-changing environment helping people to lead their best lives possible while enjoying pursuits such as gardening, sports, cooking, crafts, music, games and
- Work/life balance; you will work 12 hour shifts, 35 hours per week; every other weekend off;
- Full workplace accident insurance for all employees through Chubb Insurance.
- Ongoing training and development opportunities while at work
What does a typical work shift look like?
We have day, evening and overnight shifts as our individuals require 24/7 care and support. Every shift is unique and rewarding.
You will provide supervision and support in all aspects of daily living including, but not limited to hygiene, medication administration, domestic skills, employment, education, home maintenance, money management while facilitating the individuals’ inclusion in the community’s experiences and activities. We seek to promote daily involvement within the community, including opportunities for physical and emotional wellness, social and spiritual growth and leisure and recreational activities.
Some of these activities might include household chores, going to the YMCA, assisting individuals to get to medical appointments, grocery shopping or transportation to their job. Many of our Direct Support Providers work in our group homes but some work with individuals who are able to live on their own and are working out in the community and may need assistance in managing their own home.
You will build meaningful relationships with the individuals and with your fellow team members. There’s no better feeling than going home from work knowing that you’ve made a positive impact in someone else’s life.
What is required to do this job?
- between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
- a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act*; and
- legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial / territorial legislation and regulations.
- Some other organizations may call this role a Direct Support Professional, Personal Support Worker, Community Support Worker, Social Service Worker, Unregulated Care Provider or Developmental Support Worker. All of these titles fall under our Direct Support Worker title.
- Positive attitude and desire to care for vulnerable individuals to make their lives extra special
- Human services diploma (DSW, SSW, PSW) or equivalent is a Benefit but not required
- Current First Aid/CPR certification is an asset (paid training is provided if you do not already have this)
- Non-violent Crisis Intervention certification is an asset (paid training is provided if you do not already have this)
- Current Police and Vulnerable Sector Screen or willing to get one
- Ability to stand, lift, push, pull, bend, walk as needed to support individuals. Also, you will use mechanical lifts when required.
Covid precautions – Please note that a rapid antigen test will be performed before starting work for successful candidates. Applicants are required to provide proof of full vaccination with the vaccination passport/QR code when submitting their resumes. We will not consider applications without proof of vaccination.
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided if required
- Plastic shield at work stations
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting or cleaning procedures in place
Accommodation will be provided in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
E3 is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and inclusiveness across the organization. We believe in equal opportunity and it is our priority to ensure a barrier-free recruitment and selection process.
If you are contacted for a position, please notify Human Resources of any accommodation needs you may have during the selection process. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
We thank all respondents for their applications but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.